|Tips for time management
Better time management helps reduce stress and enriches your work and personal life.
- Do not underestimate how much time is needed for various tasks.
- Practice saying the word “NO” when possible to additional responsibilities that infringe on
personal, leisure or work time.
- Set priorities on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Be aware of your peak energy periods and plan to do the activities with the highest energy
demand at that time.
- Review the best use of your time on a regular basis.
- Complete tasks well enough to get the results that you really need.
Perfection is not always necessary.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to others whenever appropriate.
Just be sure to communicate your expectations clearly.
- Make decisions and move on. Usually rethinking a decision leads to the same result and wastes time.
- Break big overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks then get started.
- Use “waiting” time by having small tasks or activities on hand. Also be prepared to take advantage of potential relaxation time when unexpected time becomes available.
- Take responsibility whenever possible for creating a conducive work environment at home and at the office.
- Set goals and reward yourself when you have accomplished each goal. If you are working towards a big goal you may want to build in rewards at certain milestones of effort and accomplishment as a reinforcer.
- Good time management means more than completing “necessary” tasks.
It means building time for leisure activities and exercise.